Archive Ruhr

Autumn 2017 #56

Comments off

River Views #299: Southwards 44


This is actually the ship’s lock right next to Mülheim’s Wasserbahnhof, where all ships traveling further North have to go through. It’s also the main pier where the Weisse Flotte is at home.

« Google Maps »

Comments off

River Views #298: Southwards 43


Here’s the old water power station from the other side of the river with the historic pump in the background. At this location, you’re basically standing on a peninsula between two channels of the river.

« Google Maps »

Comments off

River Views #297: Southwards 42


This is a former ship from Mülheim’s Weisse Flotte that was originally built in 1954, but sold in 2014 to a private event company. This was the first time I’ve seen the ship with its new name!

« Google Maps »

Comments off

River Views #295: Southwards 40


Only a few dozen meters away is the Wasserbahnhof, where the cruise ships of the Weisse Flotte are at home. This one is named after our city and is one of the three ships that travel between Mülheim and Essen-Kettwig – and sometimes even further.

« Google Maps »

Comments off

River Views #295: Southwards 39


That cloud was posing very nicely for another wide-angle shot towards the North from Mülheim’s old water power station.

« Google Maps »

Comments off

River Views #294: Southwards 38


Another view directly North from Mülheim’s Kassenbergbrücke –
you can even see the blue Schloßbrücke in the distance.

« Google Maps »

Comments off

River Views #293: Southwards 37


The marshlands between the two river arms of the Ruhr near Mülheim’s Wasserbahnhof.

« Google Maps »

Comments off

River Views #292: Southwards 36


The quiet river arm south of Mülheim’s Wasserbahnhof – the building is a former boat house converted into a natural science water museum and cafe called Haus Ruhrnatur.

« Google Maps »

Comments off

River Views #291: Southwards 35


Mülheim’s historic water power station, the Wasserkraftwerk Kahlenberg, from the South side. This is the river intake, the machinery on the outside is for sifting debris and dirt from the water before it goes into the turbines. This power station has been in operation almost continuously since 1928.

« Google Maps »

Comments off